My first tutorial: Displayboard and Movement Tray

I started to hate those foams, the figs dont fit perfect and from time to something breaks off and you have to glue it again. And it tooks me a lot of time to put them back into the display cabinet or into my suitcase. I have seen those round cutted wooden trays, which brought me to an idea. I think they arent perfect enough and quite expensive when it comes to shipping costs to austria. So i will start to build my own. I will put everything into a Sammla Box from Ikea.

  
I have one for my Terrain and Scenery, so it was easy to measure how big one inlay could be. Luckely its 2x Din A4. (42cm x 29,4cm

  
What you need for the first step:

  1. Ikea Sammla Box 
  2. Pencil
  3. Roundcutter (see picture) 5 Euro from Amazon
  4. Modelbases
  5. Drilling Machine
  6. Wood Glue
  7. Irontape
  8. Magnets (ebay)
  9. Rasp
  10. Sandpaper
  11. Mdf Board (Medium Density Fibreboard) 

For the MDF Board i had luck my hardware store has exactly the right sice 42×29,4 cm and 2cm thick. 

  
I used the Bases to mark circles that i have cut out. For 30mm i used the 32mm roundcutter where i had nothing to rasp. For 40mm i used the 40mm roundcutter which i had to buy extra cause it wasnt in my set. The first time i took the 38mm one but i had to rasp for ages until the base fits into the hole. For the 50mm one i used, you guessed it 😉 the 50mm one. The grad circle on the picture is for colossal bases or the warcaster and one of his attachement. For example gaspy 3 and vociferon or my goreshade 3 on a large base. I have a solution for colossal bases in my mind, because a 120 mm roundcutter is a way too expensive.

 Second step (Rasping and gluing)

 
After i have rasped everything, i have filled the hole board with my army. To make sure evry hole is the right size. Then i started to glue the mdf boards together and let it dry for about 24 hours. Make sure you put something heavy on it so that it will stay under pressure.

Third Step (Irontape and Magnets)

I have cutted the Irontape from amazon and glued it into the holes. Luckely it is adhesive.

  
Enough for now. Next step i will airbrush the whole board with steel legion drab and zandri dust, both colours are from games workshop.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s